Why Support the Visually Impaired with Assistive Devices
- Cost of Scientific calculator is Kshs 50,000 for visually impaired. For a normal child, a scientific calculator cost Kshs 1,000
- Cost of Braille machine is Kshs 89,000. For normal child –cost of pen is about Kshs 10.
- The Braille Machine requires Braille paper of 200 pages at a cost of Kshs 650 per ream. Normal child would require exercise book costing Kshs 80.
- Cost of sound ball to play for visually impairment is Kshs 25,000. Normal child would require a ball of Kshs 300 – 1,000.
- Cost of geometrical set (PEP Kits) for a visually impaired is Kshs 5,000 for visually impaired. For normal child is about Kshs 250
- The software required by the blind and visually impaired persons to use a computer, Job Access With Speech (JAWS), costs about Kshs 125,000. This cost is over and above the cost of a computer for the sighted.
|Bic Pen (For sighted child)
|Braille machine (pen for blind child)
|Scientific calculator (For sighted child)
|Talking Scientific calculator
( for blind child)
|White cane (Foldable)
|Sound Ball and Goal Ball
Kshs 11,000 its equivalent is Kshs 1,500
|Geometrical set for the Blind
PEP Kit = Kshs 5,000 (white cane only included when order placed)
|Geometrical set for sighted Child = Kshs 200
|Use PEP KIT
1. Spur wheel
2. Slate & Stylus
3. Tylor Frame with types
4. Geometrical tools
6. Cylindrical Block
8. Alphabetic Blade
|– Drawing diagrams for touch readers
– A4 bookklet where learners can insert Braille paper and take notes
– 2 sets of Squares/Ruler/protractor/pair of cumpus all used for introducing cycles and angles
– Computation of simple arithmetic statements – numbers/ additions and subtractions
– Building Braille sentence
– Remedial Braille words eg CAT
– Remedial Braille lettters